Still Picking Tomatoes in January

It is the 10th January 2019 and we have had a bit of frost, although it does not get too cold here in central Brittany it is enough to damage or kill some crops in the polytunnel.

This winter, as I was over wintering a few outdoor plants in pots  I decided to line the lower part of the polytunnel to hopefully protect them from frost. I am sure most of them will survive but my indoor crops of tomatoes, peppers and chillies are a lot more sensative, so the early frost did get them and I have been meaning to go in and clear the dead plants out.

Well to my surprise, I had a final small harvest of  tomatoes and chillies. The plants are dead, but the fruit was clinging on. Some had dropped off and rotted, but amazingly some had survived the frost.


 

Lining the walls with bubble wrap just might help keep off a bit of frost when over wintering plants in the polytunnel.










Comments