Welcome to my blog

I was born in Guernsey (but now live in Brittany) and our main industry was growing tomatoes although that industry has now virtually disappeared. Growing tomatoes to a Guernseyman is like wine to a Frenchman, it's in our blood! I do not profess to be an expert, but I have picked up a few tips and techniques which work for me.


Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Contaminated Manure and Compost

 In 2008, 2009, and now 2010, there have been many reports from allotments all over the UK of manure having been contaminated by residues of a herbicide called “aminopyralid”. This has caused major damage or even failure, to crops of potatoes, tomatoes, peas, beans, carrots, lettuce and similar crops, where the manure has been used as a fertiliser. How did “aminopyralid” get into the manure?




This subject has come up quite often on the Grow Your Own Forum so I have added a link to explain the causes and problems.
Unfortunatly some of this manure is used by some commercial suppliers of compost, and a few people have had young plants effected.





MANURE CONTAMINATED WITH AMINOPYRALID or CLOPYRALID

No comments:

Post a Comment

We will not post anonymous comments