Welcome to my blog

I was born in Guernsey (but now live in Brittany) and our main industry was growing tomatoes although that industry has now virtually disappeared. Growing tomatoes to a Guernseyman is like wine to a Frenchman, it's in our blood! I do not profess to be an expert, but I have picked up a few tips and techniques which work for me.
PLEASE NOTE due to ill health I have not kept up with this blog, however there is still a lot of information to look at from over the past few years. I will add the odd new post but some videos are missing from old post, I will re-create these one day.


Sunday, 13 June 2010

Plenty of tomatoes, time to feed.



It has been funny weather this season, we have luckily had a few hot spells, but the start of spring still had some very cold nights. My early tomatoes are looking quite well, the first  few trusses are heavily ladened with fruit. My only worry is that I find the head of the plant is looking a little thin due to all this fruit on the plant, so I will give a high nitrogen feed, as opposed to high potash feed to encourage more foliar growth.
To avoid this slight problem, I could have planted a week or so earlier, which might have given a less compact plant.



1 comment:

  1. Months and months of consuming those horrid supermarket tomatoes..you are a week or so ahead of me. That sandwich looks good! Almost have my first greenhouse sungold...

    ReplyDelete

We will not post anonymous comments